I completely recommend using up as much space as possible! Of course, on the other hand, I do not suggest you fill stuff in just to fill it in. Let’s be smart about it! If you have something to say, say it! It is best to be authentic and truthful. Don’t let it come back and bite you on your bum. This is the most current information I could find as of March, 2014.
1. Company Name: 100 maximum characters.
2. Professional Headline: 120 character limit.
3. Summary: 2,000 character limit.
4. Specialties: 500 maximum characters.
5. Website Anchor Text: 30 maximum characters.
6. Website URL: 256 maximum characters.
7. Position Title: 100 characters.
8. Position Description: 200 minimum and 2000 maximum characters.
9. Interests: 1,000 characters
10. Phone number: 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
11. IM (Instant message): 25 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections).
12. Address: 1000 character limit (Viewable only to 1st degree connections if populated).
13. Skills: You may add up to 25 skills using 61 characters per skill.
14. LinkedIn Status Update: You can use up to 700 characters unless you want to update your Twitter status at the same time. Twitter® updates are limited to 140 characters. If you go over the 140-character limit, only the first 140 characters will be visible on Twitter.
The characters are counted including spaces between words and sentences!
Here’s a FREE and easy tool, http://bit.ly/OxbCsY that allows you to easily enter the content to be counted and simply choose whether you want to count the words or the characters. I hope this helps and if you have anything you would like to add please do! Send an email to me direct Loribethpierson@gmail.com